Sunday, June 29, 2014

Journals, Notebooks, Planners, Confusion



My obsession for journals, notebooks, and now planners, has been kicked up for little over a year now. As I peruse and drink in all the lovely options and how other's are using them, I realized a few things... Not only do we share this common ground, which only a fellow paper enthusiast would understand, but... as we purchase these items, many times we are at a loss as to how to use them.

We become enamored with the next new thing and then we simply become... lost. We do not know what purpose each purchase will be used for. There are so many options out there trying to make sense of our daily lives. Although I felt justified collecting journals after stumbling on notebookstories, there was a year I dropped back and "forced" myself to use only one journal and wouldn't allow myself another until that was finished. Oddly enough it was painful, yet at the same time, it stopped me from treating it like it was a precious commodity.

Haha... as I sit here writing this, I do realize how silly it all sounds to the average person. In defense I'll have to say it again... you just don't know unless you are a paper/ pen addict ^_*.

Now back to my oh so serious thoughts on the subject. I realized the struggles I had with my recent purchases were not mine alone. Countless times in not only the groups I admin, but in others, people ask..."How do you use _______?"substitute in any planner or journal. There are so many things or styles you can choose to document or plan life:

  • Future Plans
  • Health/Diet
  • Book Lists
  • Past Reflections
  • Travel
  • Bullet Journaling
  • DIY Fish
  • Documentation
  • etc.
After weeks of trying different things here is what is working for me thus far :

Midori Traveler's Notebook: Currently used as weekly planner, art journal, and written journal.


Barnes and Noble Journal : Common Place Book


Seven Seas Notebook : Will be used for writing journal once current Midori writing insert is finished.


Hobonichi Techo: Daily Visual Journaling


Strathmore Gray Tone Journal : Going back to basics sketchbook


Midori Traveler's Notebook Passport : Quick notes, sketches, and nightly gratitude journal.


Ok wait hold up! A gratitude journal?  I know, I'm not going all Oprah on you, but... I guess Ms. Oprah had it right. Watch this little clip its hilarious I promise, but it might just get you to do one as well after you read the Time article that went along with it ^_*.


So in a nut shell, yes I do have a crap load of journals going on, but this is how I use them....for now and hey why not experiment? Just start using what ever said journal or hot ticket of the month floats your boat and if it doesn't work try something else? No one will judge I promise ^_*.

Have a great time journaling!

3 comments:

  1. I just got my first Midori, and I so relate. I'm setting it up and I don't know what to use each section for. I haven't even written in it yet. I'm a little ocd, so I don't know which route to go. Oh and by the way I love your little Owl charm on yours. Owls are my contagion right now. :)
    ,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww~ yeah, its interesting how it goes. We obsess over a journal, notebook, or planner, and then become a little shell shocked ^_^. Easiest thing to do sometimes is throw down a little quote, some color, or some stickers, then play ^_*. Hope things flow for you quickly!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your great observations Julia. I have a journal which I think of as more like an art journal where I play with paint etc but I also track the daily goings on. I also have a midori which is more of a writing journal. I do like the idea of a common place book but I have a move coming up so I will try this idea out in one of my midori inserts to keep things streamlined. Thanks for a great blog with lots of great ideas and food for thought. I do like you videos too.

    ReplyDelete