Books

Happy Friday #27 : Inspirations... Books

10:04:00 AM



Hello everyone! Fall is finally whispering it's chilly presence over here in the Bay area and I must say I am absolutely loving it. It's funny while most people envy the rarely ever changing weather of California, I miss the cool down cast weather of London.

It's all perspective I suppose having grown up in Chicago. Where the only real tolerable season is Fall. I absolutely adore wearing layers, scarves, and boots! The mood a nice chilly breeze, a cup of tea, and some really good  books and music... what more can you ask for. It is the perfect recipe for inspiration no? Speaking of inspiration, the focus of today's post are the inspiring books I recently acquired in order to help me along my NaNoWriMo journey.

The first set of books I wanted to talk about are these fantastic little thesauruses on : EmotionNegative Traits, and Positive Traits. I first purchased the Emotions book for my daughter as her interests in writing kicked up quite a bit, but as I leafed through it, I just loved how it broke down emotions. Roughly speaking, they state an emotion and give examples of it's physical signals, internal sensations, mental responses, cues of acute or long-term anxiety, and cues of suppressed anxiety. I find it to be quite handy for developing compelling characters and really digging into their underlying psyche.


The next book, 'The Trickster's Hat', is more of a creative's exercise book. With mischievous little prompts, the little illustrated book encourages getting lost in order to find yourselves. If you find you have a creative block or like to warm up before working on bigger pieces, I would definitely pick this book up. There are some really fun and unexpected exercises in it that is enhanced by all the imagery. It will definitely spark your creativity.


For my next selection, 'Syllabus' I highly recommend for not only those who need a creative boost, but those who believe they can not really draw or write. If you haven't noticed by now Lynda Barry is one my creative block gurus I like to refer to consistently. She isn't particularly hung up on the mechanics of writing or of the creation of art, rather she is focused on sparking ideas and helping you dig deep into your innate abilities to create.


And lastly, I thought I'd share the little bedside book I've been engrossed in. I know I'm a little late to the game as book number three in the series has already come out, but I'd thought I'd share anyways. It is considered the adult's answer to the Harry Potter series. Although I'm not quite sure if it's quite to that level, it is fairly similar thus far, but in a teenage angst sort of way. Many of the complaints about this book was about the main character's emo persona in the beginning, but I must admit the beginning made it lack luster for me as well. However, as I am heading in about a third ways in, my interest is picking up. I'll share more later as I dig in, but I have to say if you're into magic, this might be a good read for you.




Music of the Day:
Emelie Sande : Here It Comes



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Spotify