Review

Valentine Olivetti !!!

4:34:00 PM


In the spirit of the typewriter, here is my post ala Courier. I have been salivating over typewriters for the better part of this year. Debating on getting a Kashba Mod refurbished model, you know the ones you've probably seen with the bright pink and teal colors. Any who while I think they are fairly sweet in their own right,the Valentine Olivetti by Ettore Sottsass... What can I say, but it has been on my mind since I learned about it in design history decades ago. 

Ok did I just date myself? Ha... I guess while I'm at it I will also admit, I did learn how to type on a soulless 80's typewriter. So on to the story of how I found this sweet piece.



Serendipity of course... I was doing a random search online and came upon a typewriter refurbishing store that just happened to be in a town nearby. (As I said earlier, this model has always been on my mind, but my reservation was always that it was from an online seller and you just never know.) I mentioned this amazing find to Santa hubby and he decided to present it to me early. I guess I was a good girl this year haha.


My experience so far... well one this is for sure, you have to slow down and think about the words you are about to type. A little aside, my kids walked in and saw it on my desk first I hear them exclaim, a typewriter! A few minutes later, this is so cool mom, but where is the delete button? Haha... so on that note, yes there is no delete button, so you are more mindful of your spelling. No crutches here folks.

You take that extra time to apply the proper pressure on the keys in order to make the darker imprint. At first this is a little difficult since everyone is use to the soft and quick response of the keyboard, but you get the hang of the rhythm of it.

As I was playing around with it today, I realized there was no #1 key, yet a blank key next to it. I was worried,was this a replaced key? Why was it broken? So I called the seller and asked what was going on. Apparently pre-war typewriters did not have #1 or ! marks. #1 is done by using a lowercase l and the exclamation mark was shown by using an apostrophe, back tracking and typing a period.

Such an interesting insight. Plus, since I hadn't used one in ages, I had to think about the settings, levers, margin setting etc. Sooo fun!


On that note here is an amazing documentary on the typewriter I recommend seeing : The Typewriter (In the 21st Century)



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Spotify