Brain Byte

Brain Byte : Bored and Brilliant Project

8:45:00 PM


The Lost Art of Spacing Out is a topic that is going to be covered by New Tech City a podcast program that covers stories on how technology affects our lives. Beginning tomorrow Feb. 2nd, they will be kicking off one week of challenges to help us rethink our relationship with technology.





The gist of the program talks about how we rarely get a chance to be bored since the proliferation of the Smart phone. Whether you are in line, waiting for your kid's, etc. most of us are perusing our phones to fill up our time. With researched backed experts and interviews of everyday experiences, this program has us thinking about how not having our moments of boredom is ultimately affecting us and more to the point, our creativity.

Although I believe it is more than just the smart phone, but all forms of technology that is adding to this culture of 'no boredom allowed', I thought this was a valid point, since the phone is the most portable form of technology we have on hand.

So I decided I would download the app they are in partnership with, 'Moment' for iPhone' and 'BreakFree' for Android, to see how it is affecting my life. Also, I will begin participating in the challenges they will put forth every day.

I think this will be an interesting social experiment, because yes I too remember those days where I would stare out the window in boredom, and the moments of creative outlets in which I wrote poems, doodled, played the piano, etc.

Personally as a parent of two children, I thought about this topic. Having experienced parents who allow non-stop gaming time, to parents who schedule their kids week in a never ending stream of activities... I wondered if I was too strict sometimes when I only allowed 'game' time on the weekends and only 1 hr. a day at that, plus 1-2 hr. of watching a movie or cartoon or too lax because I try to limit the amount of activities they are involved in during a given season.

As you can imagine, when there are no activities planned for the children, practice, or homework is finished... there is plenty of time to be bored. My daughter fills this void quite well with all of her creative endeavors, but I will have to say it is a struggle with my son. I do hear a lot of hyming and hawing and the occasional... ok rather frequent mutterings of how his friend get to play all day.

However, most recently I have allowed more computer time for my son in order to allow him time to learn programming. I have been on the fence about this as it has only been a few weeks since I increased his computer time. I mean on one hand his programming skills have increased 10 fold, but... he is hardly ever bored...

Any who... we shall see how this will affect me this coming week and I thought I would share. If you would like to join me or just take a gander and listen all the stories and expert opinions pop over to, New Tech City and their Bored and Brilliant Project.


Here is a little video on how to set the tracking app 'Moment' for your iPhone.



Here is a little video on how to set 'BreakFree' app for your Android phone.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Spotify