art journal

Happy Friday #34 : MOD ILLUSTRATOR THIS IS GROUND X FREEGUMS Review

12:00:00 AM


My fellow instigator Courtney alerted me to this great little L.A. based leather works company called, This is Ground. Which in turn prompted a little nudge for the Mr. to get me an early X-mas gift.  The Mod Illustrator (the illustrator has to do with the little detachable insert) designed by Artist Alvaro FREEGUMS Ilizarbe.



It is a some what soft leather along the lines of the Midori Traveler's Notebook that is a bit more structural due to a double layer being applied to each flap. So to clarify, every surface you see here is debossed so there is no raw leather showing. In order to do this two pieces of debossed leather were sewn together to create the front of the case, back, and the little detachable illustrator insert.




I bought the one that is made for the iPad mini to try with my A5 Hobonichi (
5.8' x 8.3'). I am happy to say it did fit, although a little tight. It butts up against the bottom edge due to the little leather segment they made at the top for a pen, but luckily it still zips up. That being said, when I tried A5 notebooks that had stiff covers like the cardboard ones from Muji, it was very tight.




Dimensions of ipad mini case:

  • Width: 7.5 in./19.05 cm
  • Depth: 1 in./2.54 cm
  • Length: 10.5 in./26.67 cm



I am debating on whether or not I will loosen that top pen stitch as it is not sewn all the way down, but at this point I don't know if that bottom edge will bother me enough to want to do it. The other thing is, this is just an all around lovely carrier. I can tuck away any journal inside that is within the iPad dimensions. So Moleskines and anything up to the A5 journal size will tuck away nicely.




In summary, it is a well made leather product. Fairly soft, yet structural leather with it's double layers. The design is unique and if you like tan... this is just plain beautiful. In general, as an add on to my previous post on alternatives to the Hobonichi, I would definitely look into iPad cases. 

Music of the Day:
Nicola Conte : Lotus Sun



You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Do you still like the mod? I'm in love with the gum edition, but I can't buy it no more ;(. So if you ever want to sell it - pls pm me :) lots of greetings from Austria

    ReplyDelete

Spotify